ASIAN SALTFISH ROLLS ft Jr Lee and Roger George
After surprising Joel, Roger George joins JR Lee to help make these saltfish rolls served up with Lee Kum Kee Plum Sauce, perfect for a brunch.
1 pack boneless saltfish
1 (8 oz) block cream cheese
1½ cups chopped cabbage
2 pimento peppers, seeded and diced
1 tsp Lee Kum Kee Minced Garlic
1 small onion diced
1 tsp green seasoning
Spring roll wrappers
Oil for frying
4 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Plum Sauce
Juice of 1 lime
2 tsp Lee Kum Kee Sesame Oil
Pinch of salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- Prepare ½ pack of the saltfish (approx. 5 – 6 fillets) according to the directions. Flake the fish using a fork and squeeze a little lime juice over the fish. Set aside.
- Heat about 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan. Add the onions and peppers. Cook about 1 minute. Add the green seasoning and cabbage. Mix into the onions and peppers. Season with a pinch of black pepper.
- Add the saltfish and mix well. Cook just about a minute more and remove from heat. Let cool.
- Place the cream cheese in a bowl. Add the saltfish mixture along with the cayenne pepper and a pinch of salt. Mix well. You can taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Mix together the ingredients for the dipping sauce. Place in a serving bowl and set aside.
- Heat approximately 2 cups of oil in a small pot over high heat. The oil should be enough to envelope the rolls.
- Place approximately 1 tablespoon of filling at one end of a spring roll wrapper. Brush a little water on the edges of the wrapper.
Fold the wrapper over the filling and fold in the sides of the wrapper enclosing the filling. Continue rolling until you reach the other edge of the wrapper. Brush a little more water on the edge and seal. Repeat with the remaining wrappers.
- Fry the rolls in small batches in the hot oil for just about 1 – 2 minutes. (you can test the oil using a pice of the plain wrapper and add to the oil. I should fry and expand almost immediately).
- Place the rolls on absorbent paper when removed from the oil. Cut diagonally in half and place on a platter or bowl. Serve with the plum sauce.