BACON, BROCCOLI, CARROT AND CHEESE FRITTATA
Courtesy Franka Philip on Cup of Joe Caribbean
The frittata is an Italian egg dish that can be served as breakfast or as part of a wholesome lunch. It can be served either hot or cold, with salad and spicy chutney as accompaniments.
400g broccoli florets
3-4 rashers streaky bacon
1 medium sweet potato, peeled
1 medium carrot, roughly diced
2 large pimento peppers, roughly chopped
1 large clove garlic, roughly chopped
Small bundle of chive, chopped and divided into white and green
2 leaves fresh chadon beni and Spanish thyme, chopped finely
200g Anchor Cooking cream
6 large eggs
1 tsp each of hot smoked paprika and ground coriander
!/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp pepper sauce
Salt to taste*
50g cheddar cheese, diced
Oil for cooking
- Lightly steam broccoli florets and leave aside in ice cold water.
- Render bacon in extremely hot pan, drain on napkins and chop roughly. If there's enough oil left behind, use for frying the frittata.
- Chop sweet potato into 2mm rounds. Do enough to cover the bottom of your pan.
- Chop carrots, pimento and garlic. Saute in a little oil with chopped white part of chive for five minutes and put aside.Chop chadon beni and Spanish thyme.
- Lightly whip the Anchor cream.
- Season eggs with paprika, coriander, black pepper, pepper sauce and salt and whisk until fluffy. Pour eggs into cream and whisk lightly until combined.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat a medium to large frying pan, pour oil and layer the bottom with sweet potato rounds. Let cook for three to four minutes.
- Evenly distribute sautéed vegetables, carrots, broccoli and chopped bacon over the sweet potato base. Pour egg and cream mixture over and let cook for two minutes or until the sides are just set.
- Sprinkle diced cheese, chopped chadon beni, Spanish thyme and green chive over the frittata and put in oven. Cook for about half hour or until the frittata is just set and lightly browned.
- Serve with small salad and spicy chutney (mango, tamarind).