BAKED MACKEREL PASTA PIE – SuperBlue & Crazy
Made for Superblue and Crazy on Cup of Joe Caribbean
2 tbsp oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 medium sweet pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
1 cup chopped bodi/green beans
1 small head broccoli, chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
3 – 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
¾ cup red wine
1 can Grace Mackerel in Tomato Sauce
1 can chopped tomatoes
Few dashes pepper sauce
½ cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
Extra grated cheddar cheese for top
Fresh chopped basil
1 pack pasta shells, cooked, drained and set aside
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a medium sized baking dish with cooking spray or lightly grease with butter.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook for 1 minute.
Add the sweet pepper, bodi and broccoli. Season with a little salt and pepper. Add the tomato paste and garlic. Mix well.
- Add the red wine and let cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes, cream and pepper sauce. Mix well.
- Add the Grace Mackerel in Tomato Sauce, mixing into the vegetables and breaking up the mackerel into smaller pieces in the sauce. Season with a little more salt and black pepper.
- Add the cooked pasta and mix well into the sauce. Add the cup of grated cheddar cheese and basil, stirring into the pasta. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish. Top with extra grated cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown and bubbly. Remove from oven and let sit for a few minutes before cutting and serving