Blackened Shrimp Tacos with Mexican Slaw ft Nicole Asiu
Guest mom Nicole Asiu shares another one of her quick and easy dishes on Cup of Joe Caribbean, courtesy Karibbean Flavours.
1 pack soft taco shells or bowls
1 tbs Karibbean Flavours smoked paprika or regular paprika
1 tsp Karibbean Flavours dried thyme
1 tsp Karibbean Flavours dried oregano
1 tsp Karibbean Flavours cumin
½ tsp Karibbean Flavours chili powder
½ tsp Karibbean Flavours crushed chili peppers or chili flakes
½ tsp Karibbean Flavours garlic powder
½ tsp Karibbean Flavours onion powder
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 lb. peeled and deveined shrimp (about 20 shrimp)
2 tbs oil
½ head green cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
½ head red cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
1 small white or red onion, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, diced
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and chopped (optional)
Handful of cilantro, coarsely chopped
2 tbs chives, coarsely chopped
¼ cup olive oil
3 tbs red wine vinegar
2 tsp Karibbean Flavours cumin
salt and pepper to taste
4 ounces sour cream, plain greek yogurt or mayonnaise
1 tsp finely chopped chives
¼ tsp Karibbean Flavours smoked paprika
¼ tsp Karibbean Flavours garlic powder
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp lime juice
- FOR THE SHRIMP : Mix all the spices together. Pour over the shrimp and stir until shrimp are well coated.
- Add oil to a large skillet and heat over medium heat. Add the seasoned shrimp to the pan in a single layer and cook for about 2 minutes per side, just until the shrimp is firm. Transfer shrimp to a platter.
- FOR THE SLAW: Toss all vegetables together in a large bowl. Add oil, vinegar and seasonings and toss again. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- FOR THE SAUCE : Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl.
- TO ASSEMBLE: Place a little slaw at the base of the taco shells or bowl. Top with the spicy shrimp and drizzle with sauce. Serve.