Christmas Eclairs – Chef Staci Bunbury
Courtesy Staci Bunbury on Cup of Joe Caribbean
1 stick of butter
1 cup of water
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp Regal Castor Sugar
1 cup all purpose four
1 tsp vanilla
FOR THE SORREL CUSTARD
5 tbsp milk
3 tbsp Regal Custard Powder
3 tbsp Regal Icing Sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
3/4 cup of sorrel jam (set aside)
6oz water to a simmer
FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE
1 1/2 cups of semi sweet or dark chocolate chip
1/2 cup of heavy cream/ whipping cream
FOR THE PONCHE DE CREME BUTTERCREAM
½ stick of butter
4 cups Regal Icing Sugar
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp milk
3 tbsp rum
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp bitters
- FOR THE ECLAIRS
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a pot. Simmer water ,butter , salt and sugar and bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat. Once it boils remove from heat, and stir in flour with a wooden spoon until thick ball forms and all the mixture rolls into itself. This is also known as a panada.
- Return to heat and cook for 30 seconds
Scrape the mixture into a large mixing bowl or a standing mixer. Allow to rest and cool for a short period
- Add eggs in one at a time , scraping down the bowl after each addition and vanilla finally. Mix until it is smooth and glossy and your eggs are fully incorporated
Using a pastry bag and a large piping tip (I recommend an open star tip). Pipe thick long lines of the dough on to lined sheets, leaving a space between each.
- Bake at 425 F for 15 minutes and then reduce the heat to 375 degrees F and bake until your eclair shells are puffed up and golden brown. (About 25 minutes more)
Do not open the oven while baking your eclairs. You will know when they are done when you can no longer see beads of sweat on the pastry
- After baking make your incision to fill at the top to release the steam from the eclairs and put them on a wire rack to cool. This will prevent your shells from becoming soggy.
- FOR THE SORREL CUSTARD:
Blend the egg, Regal Icing Sugar, Regal Custard Powder, vanilla and milk in a bowl.
- When water comes to a simmer. Slowly add the water to the mixture in a stream, stirring continuously while you pour. Once the water is fully blended in the mixture, return to a low heat and stir continuously until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and place in a bowl , cover the custard with cling wrap and allow to cool.
- Once the custard is cooled. Fold in 1 cup of sorrel jam to the custard .Pro tip: you can add a 1/4 tsp red gel food colour to your mixture to keep the vibrant colour of the sorrel
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE GANACHE FOR FILLING AND TOPPING:
Melt together in a microwave stirring at 30 second intervals. Mixture should be thick
- To make the ganache for the topping. Add more heavy cream / whipping cream. to the melted mixture stirring constantly until the mixture is thinner (About 1/4 cup).
- To make Chocolate mint eclairs. Fold in a cup of ganache to your custard base and add 1 tbsp of pure peppermint extract
- FOR THE PONCHE DE CREME BUTTERCREAM:
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer. Add in spices.
- Combine liquid ingredients - vanilla, milk, rum and bitters. Stir in icing sugar gradually alternating between icing sugar and liquid mixture.
- Once combined, place in a piping bag to decorate.