CREAMY BLACK EYE PEAS SOUP ft Russell Cadogan & Tricia Lee Kelshall
Joel makes this delectable soup for guests Tricia Lee Kelshall and Russell Cadogan, original members of the reunited Second Imij. Perfect for Old Year's night.
1 pack Regal Black Eye Peas, cooked until tender
1 large onion, diced
3 – 4 pimento peppers, seeded and diced
4 – 5 slices bacon, chopped
2 extra slices bacon
4 cloves garlic, chopped
3 4 sprigs small thyme
3 – 4 blades shadon beni, chopped
1 – 2 tbsp green seasoning
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
Salt and black pepper
1 tsp pepper sauce
½ tsp all purpose seasoning
1 cup heavy cream
1 – 2 tbsp olive oil
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the 2 extra slices of bacon and fry until crisp. Remove and set aside.
- To the same pot with the oil and bacon fat, add the remaining chopped bacon, onions, and pimento peppers. Cook for a few minutes.
Add the garlic, leaves from the thyme, shadon beni and green seasoning. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Add the Regal Black Eye Peas and stir well. Add the chicken stock and water, ensuring the peas are covered with the liquid Increase heat and bring to a boil. Let the soup cook for approximately 20 minutes. You may need to add a little more water during this time. You can taste the broth and adjust seasoning.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender or food processor. Return the soup to the heat. Add the
cream and pepper sauce. Season with a little more salt and pepper to taste. Taste and
adjust seasoning if necessary.
- When ready to serve, crumble the extra bacon into small bits and sprinkle over the top of the soup after it has been ladled in bowls.