CURRIED EGG, BASMATI RICE, SPICY SAFFRON POTATOES, TOMATO AND CUCUMBER CHADON BENI SALAD
Chef Jason Peru showcases a longtime classic Trinbago Curry dish with help from legendary actor Raymond Choo Kong
FOR THE CURRIED EGG
2 Boiled Eggs ( Peeled )
2 Tbsp of Veg Oil
2 Tsp of Minced Garlic
1 Tsp of Minced Onions
1 Tbsp of Small Diced Celery
1 Tbsp of Chopped Chives
1 Tbsp of Chief Curry Powder
1 Tsp of Chief Geera Powder
1 Tsp of Chief Amchar Massala
½ Tsp of Chief Turmeric Powder ( Saffron)
2 ½ Cups Water
3 Tbsp of Coconut Powder
½ Cup of Heavy Cream
Salt and Black Pepper to taste.
1 Cup of Basmati Rice
1 Cinnamon Stick
2 Cardamom Pods
3 Cups of water
SPICY SAFFRON POTATOES
1 Large Potato
1 Tsp Chief Turmeric ( Saffron )
½ Tsp of Chief Geera Powder
¼ Tsp of Chief Chili Powder
1 Long Strand of Bodi
2 Tbsp of Veg Oil
CUCUMBER & TOMATO CHADON BENI SALAD
½ Cup of Small Dice Cucumber ( Peeled )
½ Cup of Small Diced Tomato
1 Tbsp Minced Chadon Beni
½ Tbsp of Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- In a small sauce pan, heat one cup of vegetable oil to fry boiled eggs. When oil is at 350 degrees
Fahrenheit, place whole boiled eggs into the hot oil and baste the egg with the oil to evenly develop a golden crust all round. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile for the rice, add water to a small sauce pan together with the cardamom pods and
cinnamon stick and place on the stove. Add the rice and simmer until cooked. May take about 8
minutes . Strain and set aside.
- For Curried Eggs, place a medium sauce pan over high heat. Add the oil followed by the aromatics. Sauté for one minute until fragrant. Add the curry spices and cook for an additional 1 ½ minutes.
- Add the water and bring to boil then simmer until half its quantity. In a small bowl, mix the coconut powder and heavy cream together with a whisk. When curry sauce has reduced by half add the coconut cream mixture to it and reduce the fire to medium heat. Add the fried boiled eggs and stir to combine. Cover and let cook for five minutes or until sauce has thickened up and exterior of the eggs have absorbed some of the curry sauce. Remove pot and set aside.
- For the Spicy Saffron Potatoes, with a knife; peel the potato and using a melon baller scoop out
small balls (About seven of them) and place them to boil in some water with the turmeric. Remove when soft and ser aside. In a sauté pan over high heat, add the oil followed by the geera and chili powder. Stir and cook for 30 seconds then add the potato balls and the strand of bodi. Sauté quickly to coat with spices and remove from the fire quickly. Set aside.
- For the Salad, in a medium bowl, add all the ingredients and toss.