CURRY SHRIMP AND RICE — Super Blue and Ravi B
After they perform their hit, Superblue and Ravi B joins Joel in the kitchen as he makes them this classic combination
2 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp green seasoning
½ tsp pepper sauce (or more according to taste)
1½ tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp amchar masala
1 tsp geera powder/cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 large onion, diced
2 – 3 pimento peppers, seeded and chopped
2 – 3 blades shadon beni, chopped
1 tbsp chopped thyme
3 – 4 cloves garlic, chopped
1½ cups coconut milk
2 – 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Season the shrimp with curry powder, turmeric, green seasoning, pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Let marinate for ½ hour.
- Mix together the ingredients for the curry paste. Add just enough water to make a thick runny paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan. Add the curry paste and cook for 1 – 2 minutes. Add the shrimp and mix well into the curry. Cook the shrimp for no more than 1 – 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, add just a little more oil. Add the onions and peppers and cook for a couple of minutes until tender. Add the garlic.
- Add the coconut milk and mix well. Season with a little salt and pepper. Let the coconut milk come to a boil. After a few minutes of cooking, add back the shrimp and the fresh green seasoning. Mix well. Reduce the heat and let cook for a few more minutes, allowing the sauce to thicken slightly. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve with rice.