NFM PARATHA (Buss Up Shut)
Made by Heather from NFM's Bake it and Shake it on Cup of Joe Caribbean
4 cups LION Brand Roti and Doubles Flour
6 tbsp Ghee, butter (Ghee is clarified butter)
4 tsp LION BRAND Baking Powder
2 tbsp oil
½ tsp salt
1 ¾ cups water
- Sift the flour, then mix with baking powder and salt. Add enough water to make a dough. Knead until a soft dough is formed. Shape into balls and allow to rest (15 – 25 mins).
- Roll out the dough after resting to form a circle about ¼ inch thick. Spread the butter or ghee on the rolled out dough and sprinkle sparingly with flour.
- Make a cut from the centre of the dough out to the edge and roll into a cone shape. Press in the peak and flatten the centre of the cone. Allow to rest for about 20 minutes.
- Roll out onto a floured board. Using the flat side of a utensil, dip in the butter/oil mixture or ghee and coat the hot baking stone (tawah). Place dough on the hot baking stone.
- Spread the butter/ghee on one side then turn onto the other side and repeat. When cooked on both sides, use two wooden spatulas to break up the roti to give that ripped up, flaky appearance. Another option, wrap the roti in a clean cloth and beat with your hands.