PONCHE DE CRÈME CINNAMON BUNS – Staci Bunbury
By Staci Bunbury (Halo Desserts) on Cup of Joe Caribbean
4 ½ – 5 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp nutmeg
⅓ cup Regal Castor Sugar
2 packets yeast
1 teaspoon salt
¾ cup ponche de creme
¾ cup water
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons very soft butter
⅔ cup brown sugar
2/3 Regal Castor Sugar
6 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Rum and ponche de creme to taste to make a paste
2 ounces softened cream cheese
4 tablespoons softened butter
5 cups Regal Icing Sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons ponche de creme or more as needed
3 tbsp rum
1 tbsp nutmeg
- Prepare the dough
Combine 2 cups flour, Regal Castor Sugar, dry yeast nutmeg and salt in a large mixer bowl and stir until blended.
- Place eggnog, water and butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH in 15 second increments until very warm but not hot to the touch (120° to 130°F). Butter won’t melt completely). Add to flour mixture with egg.
- Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Add 1 cup flour; beat 2 minutes at high speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in just enough remaining flour so that the dough will form into a ball.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic and dough springs back when lightly pressed with 2 fingers, about 6 to 8 minutes. Cover with a towel; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Prepare the filling
In a small bowl use a fork to blend together brown sugar and cinnamon. Add ponche de creme and rum to taste to form a paste.
- Beginning at long end of the rectangle, roll up tightly. Pinch seams to seal. Cut into 12 equal pieces. TIP: Use unflavored dental floss instead of a knife to cut rolls. To do this, cut a piece of floss about 12 inches long. Slide floss under the roll; bring the ends up and cross over to cut each slice. Place, cut sides down, in greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan . Cover with towel; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour .
- Bake in preheated 350ºF oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until rolls are golden brown.
- Prepare the Frosting
In a large bowl cream together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla nutmeg until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in 2 cups Regal Icing Sugar, then 6 tablespoons ponche de creme and rum mixing until smooth. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing until incorporated, then add more eggnog if needed until frosting is light, fluffy, and easily spreadable.
- Spread frosting on slightly cooled cinnamon rolls and serve.