POPCORN CHICKEN SANDWICHES
3 -4 Kiss Hot Dog Buns
2 – 3 large boneless and skinless chicken breasts
Salt and black pepper
Juice of 1 lime
½ tsp pepper sauce
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs lightly beaten
¾ cup flour
Oil for frying
Chopped Spinach or lettuce
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite sized chunks and place in a bowl. Season with a little salt, black pepper, lime juice and pepper sauce. Let marinate for half hour.
- Set up a breading station. Place the flour, eggs and panko breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Season the flour with salt and black pepper. Add a touch of pepper sauce to the eggs and mix well. Add the grated Parmesan cheese to the breadcrumbs and mix well.
- In batches dip the chicken chunks first in the flour, then egg and then the breadcrumbs, ensuring the chicken is completely coated at each stage.
- Add enough oil in a frying pan to cover and rise about ½ inch in the pan. Heat over medium high heat.
- Fry the chicken pieces in the hot oil in small batches, turning intermittently until golden brown and cooked through. Place on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Assemble the sandwich. Cut the Kiss Hot Dog Buns lengthwise just halfway through the centre of the bun. Spread an even layer of mayonnaise in the bun, then put a layer of the lettuce or spinach. Top with the cheese slices, followed by the popcorn chicken. Drizzle with some ketchup and mustard and serve.