SPICY CHICKPEA (CHANNA) AND SHRIMP PATTIES ft DANE GULSTON
Steel Pannist extraordinaire, Dane Gulston of Massy Trinidad All Stars , joins Joel in the kitchen to make these scrumptious patties
2½ cups cooked Pepe’s chickpeas
12 – 14 medium shrimp, cleaned and deveined
Pinch black pepper
1 tsp lime juice
½ small onion
½ small green pepper
1 tsp chopped tarragon
1 tbsp chopped celery
1 tsp curry powder
½ tsp geera or cumin powder
½ tsp amchar massala
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
Oil for shallow frying
- Place shrimp in a small bowl. Season with salt, black pepper and lime juice. Set aside.
- Place the chickpeas in a food processor fitted with the chopping blade. Add the remaining ingredients. Pulse until the chickpeas are almost smooth.
- Add the shrimp and pulse until small pieces of shrimp are still visible in the mixture. The mixture is ready when it can be shaped easily without falling apart.
- Using hands, shape a little of the mixture first into a ball and then flatten to make a ½ inch thick patty. Repeat until all the mixture is used.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the patties, cooking until golden brown on both sides. Drain on a paper towel.
- Serve with a salad and a creamy dressing.