Spicy Mackerel Pasta ft Nicole Asiu
250g penne pasta (or any pasta of your choice)
1 can Island Pride Mackerel in Vegetable oil (cleaned and cut into chunks)
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 small onion, sliced
2 gloves garlic, crushed
2 medium tomatoes, diced
1 cup spinach
1 tsp chili flakes
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried thyme
1 tbs capers (optional)
1 tbs lime juice
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook pasta according to package instructions reserving ½ cup of the pasta water.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Sauté onion for 1-minute until fragrant, add garlic and continue to cook for another minute, stirring so that garlic does not burn. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted, add diced tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add dried herbs and seasonings
- Add the Island Pride Mackerel and cook until everything is heated through. Add cooked pasta and reserved pasta water. Add capers if using, and lime juice and toss together.
- Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve topped with grated Parmesan cheese.