VANILLA SPONGE CAKE ft Celeb Cakes
Noresha Shairsingh of Celebration Cakes shares some of her tips on decorating with buttercream frosting
1 Cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter
2 Cups Regal Caster Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 Cup Whole Milk
2 1/2 Cups Flour
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 1/2 Teaspoons Regal Baking Powder
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line the bottom of each cake pan with parchment paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 8 minutes.
- Add the eggs, two at a time, beating until each addition is incorporated before adding the next. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula when necessary.
- Add the flour mixture in four parts, alternating with the milk in three parts, beating just until each addition is incorporated before adding the next; do not over mix.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan or pans and spread it so that it is smooth in the pan(s). Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes for the 9 x 13-inch pan or 45 minutes for the 8-inch pans, rotating the pan(s) halfway through.
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely in the pan(s). Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. Loosen the edges with a straight spatula, invert the pan(s) to remove the cake, and peel off the parchment. You can also use this batter for cupcakes.