For the cake:
3/4 cup walnuts or pecans, chopped and toasted
1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist Yellow Cake Mix
4 large eggs
1 cup water
½ cup vegetable oil
½ cup dark rum
For the Glaze:
4 oz butter
¼ cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup dark rum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour one 9 or 10 inch bundt pan or fluted tube pan;
- Sprinkle the nuts over the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine the Betty Crocker Cake Mix, eggs, water, vegetable oil, and rum. Mix with an electric mixer until thoroughly mixed, scraping down the sides and base of the bowl with a spatula intermittently. Spoon the batter over the nuts
and smooth the surface with the back of a large spoon.
- Bake 45 - 50 minutes or until a knife or wooden skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and place pan on a wire cooling rack to cool for 10 or 15 minutes then remove cake from the pan. Place the cake on the wire rack.
- While the cake is baking make the glaze. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the water and sugar and mix well. Let come to a boil and continue to boil for approximately 5 – 6 minutes, stirring constantly so mixture does not burn. Remove from heat. Stir in the rum. Mixture will bubble up a bit.
- Use a long toothpick and poke several small holes in the top of the cake. Spoon the still warm glaze over the top of the ideally still warm cake and allow to soak in. Repeat until the glaze is used up. Let sit for approximately half hour before slicing and serving.