PUMPKIN GUAVA BREAD – Shurwayne Winchester
3 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoons salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla essence
¾ cup sugar
1 cup grated pumpkin
5 – 6 fresh ripe guavas
1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 loaf pans (each 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 in.).
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl; set aside.
- Cut each guava in half and remove the pulp with a spoon. Place the pulp in a blender with the 1/3 cup milk. Puree until smooth. Strain the guava pulp to remove the seeds and set aside.
- Mix the ½ cup milk, eggs, butter, sugar, vanilla, guava pulp and grated pumpkin together. Add to the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Divide batter between prepared loaf pans.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in center of each loaf, approximately 55 – 65 minutes.
- Cool loaves in pan for 15 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack. Let cool until barely warm to the touch, about 10 minutes.