OCHRO BRUSCHETTA ft Raymond Edwards
One of his favourite tenors, Raymond Edwards joins host Joel Villafana in the kitchen to make this interesting appetizer
10 – 12 ochroes, head and ends removed, sliced into thin rounds
2 small tomatoes, diced
1 small onion, diced
2 cloved garlic, minced
1 tsp green seasoning
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
Large pinch red pepper flakes or few drops of pepper sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1 oz butter
1 – 2 tbsp oil
4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
1 large baguette, diagonally cut into thin slices
- Heat oil and butter in a saucepan over medium high heat. Add the onions and let cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the ochroes, pressing into an even layer in the pan and cook for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes, garlic, green seasoning. Stir in to the ochroes. Add the cumin, coriander, pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Mix well. Add a little water, cover and cook until the ochroes are cooked through and soft. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the bread slices on a baking sheet, lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Top each slice with the ochro mixture, then sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 5 – 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and edges are crisp. Remove and serve.